310 Hunt Club Rd. East
Canada K1V 1C1
Cellulosic Ethanol Technology
Iogen’s cellulosic ethanol process uses advanced new technology to make ethanol from biomass. The process combines innovations in pre-treatment, state-of-the-art enzyme technology, and advanced fermentation technology. Pre-treated fibre is converted to sugars using enzymes; sugars are subsequently fermented to ethanol; and ethanol is purified to fuel.
Enzyme technology is one of the key areas of Iogen’s innovation. Iogen owns and operates a large-scale state-of-the-art enzyme manufacturing facility in Ottawa, Canada. The plant serves customers around the world with products designed for specific-use applications. The company’s core skills include protein engineering, enzyme expression, fermentation development, enzyme manufacturing, enzyme application engineering, and operation of enzyme-based reactions.
Iogen’s enzymes are now used in the pulp and paper, textile and animal feed industries. In the pulp and paper industry, Iogen enzymes help decrease the amount of chlorinated chemicals used in bleaching, as well as reduce production costs. In the textile, industry enzymes help fade, soften or depill fabrics and garments. In the animal feed industry, enzymes help chickens and pigs digest their food. Iogen’s enzyme products include the BioBrite®, Denabraide®, and Fibrilase® enzyme product lines.
Iogen’s line of enzymes for cellulosic ethanol production is currently being used in the company’s demonstration plant. These enzymes will be available for sale in conjunction with technology licenses for the cellulosic ethanol facilities in the future.
What are enzymes?
- Enzymes are “active” proteins that can increase (catalyze) the rate of biochemical reactions.
- Enzymes are natural chemicals made and used by living organisms but are themselves “non-living”.
- Industrial enzymes are safe and natural. Enzymes are even used to make foods such as pop, fruit, bread and beer!
Iogen Bio-Products focuses on making high quality enzymes for industries that process fibre. Our three primary enzyme markets are: pulp and paper, textile, and animal feed. In each market, we combine our extensive knowledge of enzyme development and manufacturing with an understanding of the customer’s application to make market-leading products. Each industry has a custom-developed product satisfying different requirements.
- In the pulp and paper market, Iogen sells directly to pulp mills with substantial start-up support, equipment, on-site service, and after trial support.
- In the textile market, Iogen sells to a limited number of re-formulators who include Iogen’s products in their formulations and service end-users.
- In the animal feed industry, Iogen has a supply agreement with DSM for the exclusive manufacture and worldwide distribution of enzymes.
Manufacturing and Quality Control
Iogen is committed to offering consistent, reliable enzymes that meet the performance expectations of its customers. The company’s manufacturing operation is ISO 9003 compliant, and makes products using application-based test methods to validate the product performance.