510 Logue Avenue
Mountain View, CA 94043
SolFocus Europe, Inc.
María de Molina 39 7° Izq.
28006 Madrid, Spain
Phone: + 184.108.40.20600
SolFocus has developed leading concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) technology which combines high-efficiency solar cells (approaching 40%) and advanced optics to provide solar energy solutions which are scalable, dependable and capable of delivering on the promise of clean, low-cost, renewable energy.
The SolFocus mission is to enable solar energy generation at a Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) competitive with traditional fossil fuel sources. To achieve this goal, SolFocus has developed leading concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) technology which combines high-efficiency solar cells (approaching 40%) and advanced optics to provide solar energy solutions which are scalable, dependable and capable of delivering on the promise of clean, low-cost, renewable energy. SolFocus is headquartered in Mountain View, California with European operations headquartered in Madrid, Spain, and manufacturing in Mesa, Arizona as well as with manufacturing partners in India and China.
SolFocus Technology Highlights
By concentrating sunlight using innovative optics onto a small area of high-efficiency solar cell material, SolFocus systems dramatically reduce the amount of expensive and often supply-constrained solar material used in the system. Learn more about SolFocus technology by selecting the components below.
Sol Focus CPV Sytems
CPV Power Unit
Solfocus has developed an innovative reflective optic system which includes a primary mirror to capture sunlight and secondary mirror and non-imaging optic to concentrate it at 500 suns onto high-efficiency III-V solar cells.
- All-glass optics for durability
- Low optical losses for high efficiency
- Wide acceptance angle for high yield and lower cost
- Designed to avoid chromatic aberrations and cell mismatching
- High efficiency cells greater than 38% efficiency compared to 13% to 19% efficiency for silicon PV cells
- 1cm2 cell per unit results in use of 1/1000th the active PV material
- Robust cell design, originally designed for the demanding environment of satellites in space
- High performance at high temperatures – not impacted by temperature degradation as are silicon PV cells
The CPV Power units are integrated into a robust panel design which is optimized for high efficiency, high reliability, and field durability. The panels are TUV certified and CEC listed.
- Industry-leading efficiency and power output
- TUV certified, CEC listed
- Power output rated at operational conditions
- High energy output sustained at high temperatures
- Utilize field-proven materials for high reliability and field durability
- 95% glass and aluminum components for high recyclability
- Glass components immune to long-term UV degradation
- Panels fully enclosed with no exposed mirrors
- Passive cooling system for high reliability and low cost
SolFocus CPV systems with their industry-leading efficiency can be deployed from small to large-scale installations, providing high energy output and maximum energy production per area of land.
- Maintains high energy output at high temperatures
- Maximizes energy production per acre/hectare to reduce land use
- Systems scalable from hundreds of kilowatts to 50+ megawatt installations
- Allows dual-use of land
- Robust, industrialized design for field durability and system reliability
- High-volume manufacturing not impacted by silicon supply constraints
SolFocus CPV panels are integrated with dual axis trackers and precise tracker control systems which are optimized for the SolFocus panels, maintaining high energy output throughout the day.
- SolFocus designed trackers are optimized for SolFocus panels and integrated into a complete system
- Engineered for optimum stiffness and provide tracking accuracy of 0.1 degree
- Extended tracking range for all locations
- Ephemeris-based open-loop tracking
- Self-calibration using proprietary SolFocus control system
- Wind and night stow positions for safety and reliability
- System monitoring software calibrates pointing accuracy
- Remote system management reduces onsite maintenance